Monday, October 5, 2009

I know I said I would... but I still haven't decided

Ok... so here it is. Monday night. I am still thinking on if I really want to put the effort into a NEW blog for just my cooking. Part of me says, who on earth wants to read about me and my cooking? How it turned out? What I did wrong? What I did different? Anyone? But on that same note, what is the point of dedicating a WHOLE blog to cooking if I am not even sure anybody is going to read it. See the circle? It goes around and around and around....

So, since I dont have any decisions yet, I will just continue to post things here. Both cooking and not cooking.

Tonight, I made Spaghetti and meatballs. And the meatballs were from a bag, so there is nothing to blog about there. BUT, for dessert I made caramel apple bars (thanks to Nichole's recipe). I must toot my own horn when I say that they came out AMAZING! I wish I would have taken pictures along the way. Kind of a step by step process. The end result was AMAZING! I used a little more caramel then the recipe calls for. I also put in a tad bit more brown sugar. The whole family loved it. Even Will enjoyed a bite or two. Two major thumbs up for mommy! Here is Nicholes recipe.. Enjoy!

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats ( I used the old fashioned and it turned out fine!)
1 teaspoon salt (You may want to cut this in half, I thought there was a little too much in the end)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/2 cups coarsely chopped, peeled tart apples (3-4 medium)
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 bag (14oz) caramels

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening in a large bowl.
3. Stir in flour, oats, salt and baking soda. Set 2 cups of this mixture aside.
4. Press the rest of the oat mixture in an ungreased 13x9x2 pan.
5.Toss apples in 3 Tablespoons of flour and spread over the mixture in the pan.
6. Heat caramels over low heat, stir occasionally.
7. Once melted, pour evenly over the apples.
8. Sprinkle with the remaining oat mixture.
9. Bake for 25-30 min, or until topping is golden brown and the apples are tender.
10. Enjoy with some vanilla ice cream while warm....YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment